Bulgaria to show evidence Hezbollah behind bus bombing which killed IsraelisBy Mason White 6:47 PM February 5, 2013
|Bulgaria bus bombing|
By: John Roberts
Bulgaria revealed today that it has completed an investigation into a bus bombing that killed several Israelis, according to a statement by a Bulgarian government official.
Bulgaria said on Tuesday it had evidence that the Lebanese Hezbollah militant movement carried out a bomb attack on a bus in the Black Sea city of Burgas that killed five Israeli tourists last year.
The Bulgarian investigation findings, showed a clear connection of Hezbollah with the attack on E.U. soil, which could pave the way for the E.U. to join the United States in naming the Iranian-backed Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.
Three people were involved in the attack, two of which held genuine passports from Australia and Canada, the Bulgarian Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, told reporters after the National Security Council discussed the investigation.
“There is evidence showing that funding and the connection between Hezbollah and the two suspects,” Tsvetanov said.
“What can be set as a well-founded hypothesis is that the two people whose true identity is determined belonged to the military wing of Hezbollah,” he said.
Israel blamed the attack on Burgas, which killed five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian driver, on Iran and Hezbollah, a Shiite militia that is part of the Lebanese government and fought a brief 2006 war with Israel.