Latest News

Man seriously burned after his Samsung mobile phone battery explodes

By Mason White 5:08 PM February 6, 2013
Mobile phone battery burns through pants pocket 

By: Sarah Weiss
A man was seriously injured when his mobile phone battery suddenly exploded, according to fire officials in South Korea.

South Korean Fire officials said the man suffered burns after the battery of a Samsung smartphone caught fire while inside his pants pocket.

Bupyeong Officers from the Fire Station in the city of Incheon, said Wednesday that the lithium-ion battery was not in the phone when it caught fire. These batteries are quick to charge but prone to overheating.

The man suffered second degree burns and a one-inch wound on the thigh from Saturday’s incident. Authorities declined to identify the man.

A South Korean newspaper reported that a Galaxy Note 2011 battery exploded, but firefighters could not confirm the make and model. It may not be the first time that a Samsung allegedly burned through pants pockets. According to the newspaper, a child suffered similar injuries last March.

Samsung did not immediately respond to a request for comment but later a company spokesperson told the press: “Lithium batteries can catch fire due to external pressure or sudden temperature changes, so we are trying to understand what really happened.”