Latest News

Little boy dies from poisoning in car while his father shoveled snow

By Mason White 4:46 AM February 10, 2013
Large amount of snow on the ground in Massachusetts 

By: Eva Fett
(Scroll down for video) A little boy died in a car while his father was outside shoveling snow in order to be able to get the car out on the road, according to emergency workers in Massachusetts.

The 11-year-old Massachusetts boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday after being overcome while sitting in a running car in order to keep warm, while his father was shoveling snow to get the car out of a snowbank.

A Fire Department spokesperson, Steve MacDonald of Boston, said that the boy was helping his father shovel snow in the Dorchester neighborhood but he was cold, so his father started the car and the boy got into the vehicle. MacDonald said the car’s exhaust was covered by snow, causing gas fumes to build up in the car.

“I do not know how long the child was in the car, at some point, the father was still shoveling and was not aware of the child’s condition,” Boston firefighter, Octavio Rowe, who lives nearby and went to help, said. “This is very, very unfortunate,” he added.

When the boy was overcome by the fumes, the father suffered from respiratory arrest and emergency workers took both to Boston Medical Center, authorities said. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital. No names were released.

Mobile video not loading? Click here to view