Latest News

Girl wins $109 million after losing her skin by taking Motrin

By Mason White 6:28 PM February 14, 2013
Samantha Reckis 

By: John Roberts
(Scroll down for video) Johnson & Johnson swallowed another bitter pill this week after getting whacked with $109 million judgment, according to court proceedings in Massachusetts.

Healthcare company Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay a Massachusetts teenager and her parents $109 million after suffering a potentially fatal drug reaction and losing most of her skin when she took a children’s pain reliever almost 10 years ago.

A Plymouth Superior Court jury decided Wednesday that Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary McNeil-PPC Inc. must pay Samantha Reckis and her parents a total of $109 million, including interest.

Family attorney Brad Henry said that Samantha was 7-years-old when she was given Motrin, which is an ibuprofen brand. She suffered a rare side effect known as toxic epidermal necrolysis and lost 90 percent of her skin and was blinded.

A spokesperson for the New Brunswick, New Jersey, Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. said that the girl’s family has suffered a tragedy, but the company disagrees with the verdict and is considering other legal options.

Mobile video not loading? Click here to view