Government orders shut down of New York discount bus companyBy Mason White 11:01 AM February 28, 2013
|Fung Wah bus|
By: Debbie Gross
(Scroll down for video) A popular discount bus company servicing the New York to Boston route was order to shut down after numerous safety concerns were raised, according to a statement by the government.
Federal regulators on Tuesday ordered the bus service operating between Boston and New York Chinatown, to withdraw its entire fleet of buses off the streets after inspections on several buses found serious problems including cracked frames.
The announcement by the U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration came after Massachusetts officials found serious problems on eight buses operated by the Fung Wah bus company.
The company had already agreed to take 21 buses off the road, but the order eliminates all 28 buses until a comprehensive safety inspection is performed.
On Tuesday afternoon, three Fung Wah buses had returned to service after passing inspections in Massachusetts, said Mary-Leah Assad, a spokesperson for the Department of Public Utilities, which regulates the company. Additional inspections were underway in New York, the spokesperson said.
Officials said the company had also chartered buses to continue operations..
At the bus station south of Boston, Fung Wah’s ticket booth had almost no activity at night, but some customers were not really concerned by the problems of the company.
Mobile video not loading? Click here to view