E.U. claims it has no evidence that Hezbollah is involved in terrorBy Mason White 12:26 PM March 8, 2013
By: David Ross
The E.U. claims that it does not have any evidence which proves that Hezbollah is involved in terror activities, thereby making it impossible to list Hezbollah as a terror organization, according to press reports in Europe.
The European Union does not yet have enough evidence of Lebanese Hezbollah activities in Europe to impose sanctions, the European Commission said on Thursday.
With support from Israel, Bulgaria last month, accused Hezbollah in an attack in the Black Sea resort of Burgas last year that killed five Israelis.
Israel has also stepped up lobbying in Brussels and Paris, calling on European governments to follow the United States and list Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and impose financial sanctions on it.
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, in a press conference with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Brussels, said that Bulgaria was still completing its investigation into the attack and called on the Lebanese government for help.
“The judicial process will show whether we should make policy decisions. We cannot decide these things in advance,” Barroso said. “Once we know the people behind the attack, their inclusion in the list may be considered,” Barroso added.
“I hope that Hezbollah will be punished for their terror activities,” Peres said.