Latest News

Woman chokes to death during egg competition after swallowing hard boiled eggs

By Mason White 3:36 AM April 22, 2013
Sharon Dixon 

By: Moses Gold
(Scroll down for video) A woman died after participating in an egg competition after she swallowed too many hard boiled eggs, according to hospital officials in the United Kingdom.

Sharon Dixon, 54, participated in the egg eating contest at the Wellington Arms, Grimsby, when she began to choke.

Friends and the bar staff called police around 2:00 pm on Monday after Sharon began to turn blue during the competition.
Dixon was rushed to a hospital but died two days later.
Her daughter Toni, today thanked those who tried to save the life of her mother.

She said: “I have seen CCTV footage of what happened and it is clear that her friends and everyone did their best to help my mom. She died while she was surrounded by her friends. I think more people should learn first aid though. If more people have this knowledge, they can stop incidents like this from happening in the future.”

Jackie Cook, who had known Sharon for more than 20 years, said: “She would do anything for anyone. She was very strong willed and always there for anyone who needed help. Her whole life was happy. Everybody knew her and she knew everyone.”

“I believe the government should ban these types of dangerous competitions. Too many people die every year of these types of contests. Not long ago, a man died in Florida during a bug eating contest. It is very sad when a life is lost because of a silly contest,” Anna Taylor, 20, of Bristol, United Kingdom told YourJewishNews.com after learning about the death.

A close friend, who declined to be named, said: “Sharon was a lovely woman. Nobody would have anything bad to say about her. We were very close. Everyone will have a nice story to tell about her. She was full of life.”Mobile video not loading? Click here to view