Latest News

Girl rushed to hospital after classmate sets her hair on fire in school

By Mason White 4:13 AM June 11, 2013
Scene of the incident 

By: Debbie Gross
(Scroll down for video) A girl was left severely injured after her classmate set her hair on fire in school, according to a statement released by the New York Police Department.

The Brooklyn girl is recovering after a sixth grader accidentally set her hair on fire while playing with a lighter.
The 14-year-old girl was in serious but stable condition Tuesday with burns to the head and neck.

Other students told police that the boy was trying desperately to put out the fire. He later apologized profusely on Facebook.
It incident happened in the Bildersee playground of Middle School 68 in Flatlands.

Police said that the sixth grade student, 12, apparently took a lighter out from his pocket and accidentally set the girl’s hair extensions on fire.

The victim was taken to the burn unit at Staten Island University Hospital.
No child is expected to be charged. Police believe the child was playing with the lighter and got too close to the girl.

A student captured the incident on a cell phone.
In the video, students are heard screaming: “Your hair is on fire!”

Officers were at her side immediately, one of them with a fire extinguisher.
The eighth grade was seen crying, and moments later was taken to the hospital.

Initially, authorities believed that the incident was due to a verbal altercation, but now say it was the result of playing a prank.
Police said he was playing with a lighter, teasing the girl with a quick movement near the face.

“She was screaming in pain, and we were trying to put out the fire,” a student said. “It’s sad, because she’s a good girl. She is very sweet and friendly with people, and for this to happen to her, it’s very sad.”Mobile video not loading? Click here to view