Latest News

Woman paralyzed after being bit by mosquito

By Mason White 5:08 AM June 11, 2013
Natasha Porter 

By: Moses Gold
A woman was hospitalized and paralyzed for some time after being bit by a mosquito, according to hospital officials in the United Kingdom.

The British woman, who was paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair for four months after being bitten by a mosquito in Australia, now wants to travel around the world.

Days after the bite, Natasha Porter, 23, of West Sussex, England, was unable to raise her arms. Shortly after that, she was paralyzed from the neck down.

Initially, doctors suspected Porter was having an allergic reaction, but Porter was finally diagnosed with a disease called Guillain-Barré syndrome, which doctors believe was caused by a mosquito bite. The syndrome causes the body’s immune system to attack itself.

“I was very scared,” Porter said. “I remember feeling guilty because I knew I would have to call my parents. I was thinking: ‘how can I tell my parents that I will be dead in a few hours?’” Porter also said.
Gradually, Porter began to regain sensation and has now made ​​a full recovery. She now plans to continue traveling the world.

“I do not want to waste time anymore, and I hope that I have become a better person. I just want to live as much as I can, I spend a lot of time with my family and friends, enjoying my life,” Porter said.