New Jersey man burns down his home after trying to kill bed bugsBy Mason White 9:30 AM June 18, 2013
|The house that was set on fire|
By: David Ross
A New Jersey man learned the hard way to leave bed bug fighting to professionals after he accidentally set his house on fire, according to fire officials in New Jersey.
The man and four firefighters are recovering after suffering injuries from the fire.
Police said that the unidentified man was using a space heater, a hair dryer and a heat gun in order to kill bed bugs in his home located on Penn Street in Woodbury, New Jersey. Heat guns are often used to remove paint from wood. Temperatures can reach an average of 1,000 degrees.
While doing this, police said he accidentally set fire to the second floor of his house.
The fire started around noon and firefighters were able to extinguish the flames shortly after they arrived.
Firefighters were called to the scene again around 5:15 pm after the fire rekindled.
Between the two fires, the homeowner and four firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The Gloucester County Office of the Fire Marshal ruled the fire as accidental, county spokesperson Deborah Sellitto said.