Latest News

Man arrested after making 28,000 prank calls to police

By Mason White 5:30 AM August 20, 2013
Japan Police illustration 

By: Ryan Lee Hall
A man was arrested and charged with misusing an emergency telephone system after making 28,000 prank calls to police, according to police reports in Japan.

Tokyo Police said that they have arrested a local man, who made 28,000 prank calls to the emergency number 110.

According to police, Teruo Nozaki, 44, a part-time convenience store worker, made ​​prank calls from his cell phone from January 2012 until June of this year.

Police said Nozaki sometimes called 110 1500 times a day and when someone answered, he immediately hung up.
Nozaki was quoted by police as saying: “I did it because I was irritated by the fact that I was being followed by the police.”

This was not the first time that police arrested a man, who made prank calls to police. As we reported earlier, a man living in South Korea was charged after he terrorized U.S. 911 emergency operators with fake emergency calls.

The 20-year-old South Korean man has been charged for allegedly making prank calls to United States emergency call centers and threatening to carry out a school shooting, police said.

The Seoul Metropolitan Police said the man, who was identified only by his last name Lee, is accused of calling the Communications Center of Warren County, New Jersey, from his home in Jeonju, South Korea, claiming that he was armed with a gun, and that he was hiding in the woods near Hackettstown High School in New Jersey. He told police that he was ready to shoot students.

The prank call has sent the entire city into a frenzy, forcing the closure of eight nearby schools and caused a four-hour search involving SWAT teams, counter-terrorism officials and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Lee also prank called the New York Police Department, and threatened to kill officers and their families after claiming to have killed his own 10-year-old son, police said.

It is believed that the man of South Korea had started calling emergency call centers in the United States after getting a free application on his smartphone while learning English from a U.S. student online.

The South Korean police said they had captured Lee, who is now in military service, after receiving an intelligence report from the Department of Homeland Security that prank calls were traced back to South Korea, which was then traced to Lee.