Latest News

Pile of goat manure explodes stinking up Vermont neighborhood

By Mason White 11:30 AM August 26, 2013
Pile of manure on fire illustration 

By: John Roberts
(Scroll down for video) A pile of goat manure caught fire causing a big stink for residents of one town, according to fire officials in Vermont.

Windsor officials said that a pile of goat manure spontaneously caught fire, spreading a stench and causing people to hold their noses through the town. Official Said that the fire did not cause any lasting damage.

“It smelled like burning wet leaves or a forest fire,” Windsor Town Manager Tom Marsh said.

A worker, who was on her way to milk some goats, discovered the 120 cubic yards of manure on fire around 3:00 am on Wednesday, George Redick, owner of 800 goats at the Oak Knoll Dairy, said.

He and others put out the flames with water from a hose, but the manure was still smoldering. He planned to call the fire department later that morning, but firefighters were already looking for the source of the odor at 6:30 am.

Marsh said he could smell the fire in his home located about five miles away. He called it “a little disconcerting, as there was a very strong odor.”

Redick said that the manure would have been spread around the farm earlier this year, but the rainy season and other factors kept that from happening.

He said he used to think that spontaneous combustion is fiction.
“Now I’m a believer,” he said.