Mother arrested after setting her daughter on fire by using gasoline to treat her head liceBy Mason White 1:18 PM August 2, 2013
By: Debbi Gross
(Scroll down for video) A 5-year-old was severely burned after her mother used gasoline to get rid of lice in her hair.
Shana Suggs, 25, of McAlester, Oklahoma, was arrested after she poured gasoline over her daughter’s hair to get rid of head lice, but instead, the girl caught on fire.
According to police, Suggs attempted to treat a lice problem on her 5-year-old daughter’s hair when she took the girl to the bathroom and poured gasoline over the child’s head.
Investigators determined that a nearby water heater ignited the gasoline fumes, causing burns to both Suggs and her daughter.
Suggs’ boyfriend, Dylan Webster, heard screams coming from the bathroom. He found Suggs and her daughter in flames and used a jacket to smother the flames, but not before the girl suffered severe burns.
Prosecutors said that the girl suffered second and third degree burns over 60 percent of her body. Suggs suffered minor burns. Four other children were in the home at the time of the fire.
After an investigation, the mother was booked into the Pittsburg County Jail and charged with child abuse by injury. Suggs remains held on $25,000 bond.
Head lice insects spend their entire life on the human scalp and feeding exclusively on human blood. Removing head lice can be tricky. Parents were said to have spent many hours on this task. Many spend a lot of money on different products that kill head lice.
Others have made a career out of head lice by charging a fee to remove them from children’s hair.