Latest News

Colorado man fired after putting out fire in store’s parking lot

By Mason White 10:53 AM December 16, 2013
The burned vehicle 

By: Moses Gold
(Scroll down for video) A Colorado man is in shock after he was fired from his job because he was a good Samaritan.

The Otsego County man said he was fired from his job because he extinguished a fire.

David Bowers worked at the Meijer store in Gaylord.

He said that a customer’s car was on fire in the parking lot, and he decided to help the man.

Bowers knew his actions were against company policy, but he believed that in this case, the customer came first.

“When the man came in and said that his car was on fire, I grabbed the fire extinguisher and I followed him outside,” Bowers said.

They quickly extinguished the fire and Bowers returned to his post.

He was later called to the manager’s office where he was suspended for his actions.

“The supervisor told me that my heart was in the right place, but my brain was not,” Bowers said.

Later that week, he was fired from his job for not following company policy.

Bowers said that he has begun looking for a new job in the area, but had no luck finding a new position.