Latest News

Gynaecologist confirms that 6-week-old baby who was raped by uncle suffered severe trauma

By Mason White 2:27 PM December 1, 2013
Baby in hospital illustration  

By: John Roberts
(Scroll down for video) A 6-week-old was fighting for her life after she was raped by her 24-year-old uncle.

Now, a doctor at the Kimberley Hospital in South Africa, said that the baby is making progress and is expected to make a full recovery.

Gynecologist Jan van Soest was part of a seven-member team, who operated on the baby to save her life.

The operation on the 6-week-old lasted two hours.

Van Soest said that the baby girl is expected to recover physically, and she will very likely one day be able to have children of her own.

The gynecologist also said that when the baby was brought into the hospital she was so traumatized that doctors were unable to examine her until she was given anesthesia.

The uncle who is still in jail and has not been granted bail, turned down the help of a legal aid lawyer, as he wants to defend himself.

Magistrate’s Court judge Kubashnie Padayachee warned him of the seriousness of the charges.

“I am sharp. I will defend myself,” he said.

As we reported earlier, a 22-year-old mother was left traumatized after her own brother raped her newborn baby.

The six-week-old baby girl is fighting for her life after being raped by her 24-year-old uncle.

The baby is in an intensive care unit after being taken to Kimberley hospital in South Africa, around 2:00 a.m. on Wednesday.

The baby underwent an emergency surgery to repair the damage done to her intestine.

It all began after the mother had put the baby to sleep in a bedroom in her mother’s home in Galeshewe.

The mother and grandmother watched television in the living room.

A short time later, the mother heard her baby crying and went to check on her.

When she entered the room, the baby was no where to be found. The child had disappeared from the bedroom and the curtain had been removed.

Screaming that her daughter had been kidnapped, the baby’s mother ran to a relative’s house and asked them to help search for her baby.

Meanwhile, the frantic grandmother followed the voice of the crying baby and found that it was coming from a shack in their backyard.

When she forced the door open, the 24-year-old pushed his mother out-of-the-way and ran, while zipping up his pants.

When relatives and neighbors heard the grandmother screaming they ran to the backyard.

“When I got there, the baby was lying in bed and there was a lot of blood,” a family member said.

The baby was taken to the hospital.

Local residents apparently chased the man and caught him a few blocks from the house.

It is alleged that he had lifted the baby out of the room through the window.

According to his mother, the suspect is mentally unstable.

The suspect had been involved in an altercation with police a week before the incident and was shot by police during the incident.

The suspect was arrested by police.

“The baby is currently in the intensive care unit at the hospital in critical but stable condition,” Department of Health spokesperson Lulu Mxekezo said.