03/23/13

17 Jews killed in Britain in religious persecution to receive proper burial

Some of the Jewish bones which were found in a Norwich well 
By: Shifra Unger

17 Jewish people including children were butchered for being Jews in Britain, many years ago.

Now, the remains of the 17 people suspected of having been killed during a religious persecution in the 12th century, will be given a ceremonial Jewish burial in Norwich.

The bones, including the remains of 11 children, were found in 2004 during archaeological survey work before a development project in the city.

Historical evidence has shown that the bones are remains of Jews.
This is a "historic event" and "unique", a spokesperson for the Jewish community said.
The remains were put into storage by the Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service after the excavation for delicate and sensitive research.

They will be buried by the Jewish community of Norwich in Earlham Jewish cemetery on Tuesday. More research, using DNA samples will be done in the future.

Clive Roffe, who is a Norwich representative on the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said: "Nothing is 100 percent sure, but the historical evidence leads us to believe that the remains are of Jews. So we're giving them a burial in our cemetery. It feels like the hand of fate has allowed the opportunity to fall on us, after more than 800 years. It's a historic event."

However, according to Alan West, the Curator of Archaeology Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service, there are no signs of the people having been 'butchered'.

“According to the post-excavation report the only signs of trauma are a broken clavicle and rib, both healed, a greenstick fracture and another possible fracture. There is also no evidence dating or otherwise to tie the remains to any recorded act of violence against the Jewish population. Additionally, according to the scientific DNA report, there is nothing particular to signify that the remains are Jewish, West told YourJewishNews.com.

Norwich had been home to a thriving Jewish community since 1135 and many lived near the site as well.
However, there are records of persecution agianst the Jews in medieval England including in Norwich.

Eleven of the 17 skeletons were those of children aged between two and 15 years. The remaining six were adult men and women.
Alex Bennett, Minister of the Norwich Hebrew Congregation, who will head the burial ceremony, said: "I think doing this is pretty well unheard of, but we believe it is the right thing to do.

The Jews who died deserve a proper burial, and that's what we will do with complete funeral prayers.
I feel rather privileged to perform this unique service."
The remains will be buried in a grave with a Jewish prayer shawl on top of them.

University to pay student after refusing guinea pig in dorm room

guinea pig 
By: John Roberts

(Scroll down for video) A woman sued Michigan University after they refused to allow her pet guinea pig stay in her dorm room.

Grand Valley State University settled a lawsuit filed by the student who was not allowed to keep her guinea pig, a service animal, in her bedroom.

The woman claimed that the pig is a trained service animal who she needs for emotional support, therefore she should be allowed to have the pig in her pet free apartment.

The lawsuit said that Velzen was not given permission to have her service animal in the pet free dorm room, despite having a doctor’s letter explaining her need for the animal.

Velzen has a heart condition that requires the use of a pacemaker. She also takes medication for depression, according to the lawsuit.

Grand Valley State University agreed to pay $40,000 to be divided by Kendra Velzen, the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan and the lawyer for the plaintiff’s attorney.

Grand Valley State University said they originally denied the petition to have her service pig in the pet free room because the Americans With Disabilities Act does not list a guinea pig as a trained service animal.

The school agreed to pay the settlement and allow Velzen to bring her guinea pig or similar animal if she decides to live on campus in the future.

Coed sues to keep guinea pig in dorm

Israel and Turkey restore full diplomatic ties after Netanyahu apology

Israel Turkey joint military operation 
By: Shifra Unger

(Scroll down for video) U.S. President Barack Obama was able to finalize a truce between Israel and Turkey right before leaving Israel which will be seen as a major win for President Obama, according to official statements by Israel and Turkey.

Israel and Turkey agreed to restore full diplomatic relations on Friday after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu apologized in a phone call for the deadly naval attack against a Gaza-bound flotilla in international waters, a dramatic turn in part mediated by President Barack Obama.

Common interests between the two countries, amid fears that the Syrian civil war could spill over their borders, and some pushing by Obama made ​​possible the repair of relations after almost three years of bitterness over the deaths.

It was a surprising turn for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had long rejected calls to apologize. He announced the breakthrough after a 20-minute telephone conversation with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Obama helped negotiate the truce during his visit to Israel, but the parties had been reaching out to each other before.

"They agreed to restore the normalization of ties between Israel and Turkey, including the sending of ambassadors and the cancellation of legal actions against Israeli soldiers," a statement from Netanyahu's office, said. “Netanyahu, lamented the recent deterioration of relations between Israel and Turkey, and expressed his commitment to overcome their differences in order to promote peace and stability in the region," the statement also said.

The statement said that the bloodshed was not intentional, and suggested that the relatives of the deceased will receive compensation. In light of an Israeli investigation into the shooting that pointed to a number of operational errors, Netanyahu apologized to the Turkish people for "errors that could have led to loss of lives, injuries and agreed to conclude an agreement on compensation," the statement said.Mobile video not loading? Click here to view

Teen muggers kill baby after mother did not hand over money

Baby Antonio 
By: Debbie Gross

(Scroll down for video) Two teenage boys were arrested after they viciously killed a baby in front of his mother.

Police have arrested two teenagers who are suspected of killing a one-year-old baby in his stroller and shooting the baby's mother.

One teenage boy was identified as 17-year-old De'Marquis Elkins. He is charged with first degree murder. He will be tried as an adult.

The second suspect was a 14-year-old boy who was also charged with murder, but he was not identified because he is a minor, according to Brunswick Police Chief Tobe Green.

The mother, Sherry West, said she was walking near her home Thursday morning with her son, Antonio, when she was approached by two men who demanded money. When she told the boys that she does not have money on her, the boys shot her in the leg and then shot the baby in the stroller.

Mobile video not loading? Click here to view

Man killed by police sniper after he shoots girlfriend and kidnaps her son

Kenneth Knight 
By: Eva Fett

(Scroll down for video) An Indiana man was shot to death by a police sniper after he shot his girlfriend and kidnaped her son.

Court documents showed that Jacqueline Bouvier Hardy, 49, had filed a protective order against Kenneth Knight, in Fort Wayne.

For some unknown reason the two were riding the city bus together when Knight, 45, of Fort Wayne, pulled Hardy off the bus and fatally shot her in front of many people.

Knight, then grabbed her three-years-old son and hid in a house of an acquaintance.

Several hours later, two police snipers shot him and saved the boy.

Knight was not related to the child who was unhurt in the assault.

Police have reviewed the surveillance video obtained from the bus company. The video showed Knight and Hardy sitting together before he pulled her off the bus and killed her, police spokesperson Raquel Foster, said.

There was no disturbance on the bus. The duo left the bus at a scheduled stop. When they got off the bus he shot her with a gun he had in his bag, according to Foster.

Mobile video not loading? Click here to view


Loading...