|Toothpick in sandwich illustration|
A man bled to death after he accidentally swallowed a toothpick with his sandwich, according to hospital officials in Sweden.
The Swedish man has died after doctors failed to detect the toothpick stuck in his throat.
The Karlskrona, southern Sweden man, who was about 60-years-old, accidentally swallowed the toothpick while eating the sandwich.
The next day, he was taken to the emergency room after having problems swallowing. However, the doctors who examined him found no problem with his throat and sent him home.
Ten days later, he developed a hole and an infection in his windpipe, requiring emergency surgery. The man began bleeding during the operation and died the next day at the Malmo's vascular clinic.
“Be careful when eating a sandwich, and remember that the toothpick is not edible it is meant to hold your cherry tomato in place,” Amanda Simpson, 41, of South Bend, Indiana told YourJewishNews.com after learning about the man who died after swallowing a toothpick.