Man hospitalized after being bitten by dead snakeBy Mason White 10:56 AM January 23, 2014
|Red-bellied black snake illustration|
By: Sarah Weiss
(Scroll down for video) If you thought a dead snake is harmless thing again.
A man was hospitalized after being bitten by a dead snake, according to hospital official in Australia.
Jake Thomas was cutting the grass in a cemetery, which is located in Werris Creek, near Tamworth, when he found a red-bellied black snake in a vase on a gravestone.
Fearing that the snake could attack someone, Thomas cut the snake in half.
He came to retrieve the dead snake when he finished his work, and that is when it bit him.
“I put my hand into the vase to pick it up and it grabbed me even though it was dead,” Thomas said.
The snake left two small marks on his left hand.
He was taken to a local hospital and then transferred to Tamworth Hospital, where he spent two days in intensive care after being treated with antivenom.
“I will not go near a snake, dead or alive,” he said.
Health officials warn that snakes can retain their bite reflex for up to an hour after their death.
Red-bellied black snakes are classified as extremely poisonous, but they tend to stay away from humans.