Latest News

Crown Heights apartment destroyed after dryer catches fire

By Mason White 11:58 AM February 12, 2014
Burned dryer illustration 

By: Sanvi Rizvi
(Scroll down for video) A Crown Heights family was left homeless after their dryer set their apartment on fire, crownheights.info reported.

Brooklyn, New York fire officials said that a fire broke out in an apartment on Montgomery Street on Tuesday night. Most residents of the building were forced to evacuate, but thanks to the quick response of firefighters, only one apartment was damaged.

The fire started at 4:45 p.m., in the kitchen of a top floor apartment at 836 Montgomery Street. The fire started in a dryer in the kitchen.

Due to the extremely cold weather, firefighters had a difficult time getting fire hydrants in the area to work as they were frozen. Out of five fire hydrants in the area just one worked.