Latest News

Woman burned after toilet explodes inside bar

By Mason White 10:27 AM February 18, 2014
Toilet on fire illustration 

By: Anika Rao
A woman suffered serious burn injuries after a toilet in a bar exploded, hospital officials in Spain.

The woman had to undergo skin graft procedures after she was badly burned in an explosion caused by methane gas. Fire official said that a lack of ventilation and cleaning caused the toilet at the Barcelona bar to explode.

According to the initial investigation, the incident occurred in a bar in the Gothic Quarter, when the woman turned on the toilet light. A spark acted as a trigger for methane gas that filled the toilet.

The woman has filed a lawsuit against the owners of the bar.

This was not the first time that a toilet exploded. As we reported earlier, a man was left with a fear of flushing toilets after one toilet exploded in his face.

Emergency workers said that a New York man was seriously injured when a toilet exploded in his face after he pulled the lever to test the water pressure in his apartment in Brooklyn.

Michel Pierre suffered shrapnel wounds from flying fragments of porcelain to his face, arms and legs. He required 30 stitches.

The 58-year-old specialist in information technology is so fearful that he uses a rope to pull the toilet lever behind the bathroom door at a safe distance.

Three other occupants were also injured during the incident.

Pierre was hit unconscious and covered in blood by the explosion.

“It sounds silly, but I’m still scared,” Pierre said.
“Maybe someday I will, but right now I’m in pain,” he said.

Pierreā€™s lawyer said a lawsuit was filed against the management company of the building so that a jury could decide how much he should be compensated.