Large bird hospitalized after swallowing bulletsBy Mason White 6:23 PM February 24, 2014
By: Sanvi Rizvi
A bird was hospitalized after it swallowed bullets, Israeli wildlife officials said.
The 11-year-old female eagle is recovering at the animal hospital of the Wildlife and Parks Authority.
Hospital staff managed to remove the bullets from its stomach, but the bird is still suffering from fatigue.
The incident began when inspectors of the Wildlife and Parks Authority found the eagle unresponsive and laying on the floor. The bird was rushed to the hospital where it received primary medical care.
Later, doctors took x-rays of the bird and found the bullets in its stomach. It is unclear if the bird swallowed the bullets or if the bullets was inside an animal that the bird ate.
Although doctors removed the bullets, the bird is still suffering from lead poisoning. Doctors are cleaning the bird’s blood through blood transfusions.
The bird is also receiving pain medication and antibiotics to prevent infection.