Son saves his mother’s home from quick moving fire by dousing it with soupBy Mason White 3:09 PM March 26, 2014
By: Hydar Tomar
The quick thinking action of a man saved an elderly woman’s home, firefighters in Hawaii said.
Honolulu firefighters said that on Saturday morning, a short circuit in the laundry room of the home belonging to 70-year-old Joy Gardner, started a fire that nearly engulfed the house.
Fortunately, the sound of the fire awoke 41-year-old Reuben Prensky, Gardner’s son, who was visiting from Canada. Prensky ran to the kitchen, grabbed a pot of miso soup and threw it into the fire.
His quick thinking slowed the fire down long enough for him to be able to grab a water house and extinguish the fire completely. Firefighters noted that if the fire lasted just a few seconds longer it would have destroyed the entire house.
Gardner is thankful that her son came to visit her at a time when she needed him the most, as she could have died in the fire if she was home alone. The fire caused just $10,000 in damages, while the property is worth $200,000.