Mother gets 20 years prison after baby dies from drug overdose in breast milkBy Mason White 1:31 PM April 6, 2014
By: Anika Rao
(Scroll down for video) In a very bizarre incident, a newborn baby died from a drug overdose after breastfeeding.
The baby’s mother was taking pills, which was transferred to the newborn baby while she was breastfed.
Now, the mother, Stephanie Greene, 39, of South Carolina, has been found guilty of homicide by child abuse.
Prosecutors said that Greene, who was a nurse, knew the dangers of taking painkillers while pregnant and breast feeding.
However, she chose not tell her doctors that she was pregnant so that they would continue prescribing her pain pills after being involved in a car accident.
The baby, Alexis Catherine Greene, was born healthy and was breastfed. When the baby was 46 days old, her mother found her unconscious. Greene called 911 and she sounded disoriented.
The baby was pronounced dead. A toxicology test found a high level of morphine in the child.
Greene’s husband of 10 years did not want to speak with reporters. However, his wife’s lawyer, Rauch Wise, said that the husband supported his wife and that he was devastated with the sentence as he is preparing to raise their 7-year-old alone.
Greene also has two children from a previous marriage.
She will have to serve 16 years before she is eligible for parole.