Teen critically injured when makeshift illegal drug laboratory explodedBy Mason White 11:50 AM May 12, 2014
|Drug lab illustration|
By: Sanvi Rizvi
A teen was rushed to a hospital after the makeshift laboratory in which he was cooking illegal drugs exploded, police in Montana said.
Rescue workers said that the explosion severely burned the teenager of Hamilton.
The 17-year-old boy injured in the blast was transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Washington. Police suspect that the boy and another man ran a makeshift drug manufacturing facility.
Tuesday’s blast not only put a child in the hospital, but the other suspect, 25-year-old Howard Matthew Wease, was also burned. He was indicted on charges of drug offenses in the hospital.
According to a police report, cans of butane gas were found along with marijuana plants. Investigators believe that the teen and the Wease were making hash oil from marijuana.