Latest News

Teen eats nothing for 5 years after her stomach became paralyzed

By Mason White 11:52 AM May 1, 2014
Ayllah-Beau Foley 

By: Sanvi Rizvi
(Scroll down for video) A teen is unable to eat any food after her stomach became paralyzed about five years ago, doctors in the United Kingdom said.

19-year-old Ayllah-Beau Foley of Cheltenham, can only eat small amounts of food through a tube that was inserted into her heart after developing gastroparesis.

She began suffering from this disease after she returned from a visit to India. At first she thought she was suffering from food poisoning, but when she didn’t get better she went to a doctor.

After extensive testing she was diagnosed with gastroparesis. Foley said that she was shocked by the diagnosis. “I never knew that a stomach can become paralyzed,” she said.

Being unable to eat, she needs to be fed through the tube for 14 hours overnight in order to stay alive. To satisfy her cravings for chocolate and candy she licks it from time to time.

About one in 50,000 people suffer from gastroparesis, and it is more common in women than in men.