Latest News

Competitive eater chokes to death during hot dog eating contest

By Mason White 10:46 AM July 9, 2014
Walter Eagle Tail 

By: Sanvi Rizvi
A competitive eater died after choking on a hot dog during a hot dog eating contest, rescue workers in South Dakota said.

The traditional hog dog eating competition ended in tragedy after 47-year-old Walter Eagle Tail, started choking as he participated in the competition held in Custer.

He was one of six contestants in the competition sponsored by the Custer Chamber of Commerce. Witnesses at the scene said that paramedics were called immediately after Tail began to choke on the hot dog.

He was taken by ambulance to Custer Regional Hospital, where police said he died. “Someone was doing CPR when we arrived,” Custer County Police said.

“Basically, he just choked. The hot dog lodged in his throat and no one was able to get it out,” police added. Tail’s death is the first known case of a person who was injured during the traditional South Dakota hot dog eating contest.