Hamas warns Israel that it will resume rocket fire on Friday morningBy Mason White 12:38 PM August 7, 2014
|Bomb hidden near U.N. school in Gaza|
By: Aryeh Savir
The Hamas terror group in Gaza warned Israel on Thursday, that it plans to resume rocket fire on Friday morning, the Tazpit News Agency reported.
The 72 hour ceasefire between Israel and Hamas is scheduled to end Friday morning at 8:00 A.M., and Hamas is threatening to renew its rocket fire on Israeli civilian targets at its conclusion.
Hamas spokesman Moussa Abu Marzouk, stated: “There is no agreement on the extension of the truce,” the Cairo-based Hamas member wrote on his Twitter feed.
Another spokesperson for the group, Ismail Radwan, said: “there is no extension to the calm. We have yet to receive a response to the demands.”
He was referring to Hamas’ conditions presented at the Cairo ceasefire negotiations. However, Al-Arabiya is reporting that a deal to extend the current lull by an additional three days had been reached.
Israel has reportedly agreed to extend the current ceasefire, as indirect Israeli-Palestinian negotiations over extending the truce in Gaza, are currently underway in Cairo.
Quoting an Israeli official, Reuters reports that Israel has conditionally agreed to extend the ceasefire. The official did not specify how long the ceasefire would be extended.
Communications Minister Gilad Erdan, a member of the Security Cabinet, warned that if Hamas renews its rocket fire on Israel, the IDF will escalate its reaction.
Erdan told Israel Radio that while Israel has “no objections” to the rehabilitation of the Gaza Strip and that a truce is within reach, Hamas and Islamic Jihad cannot be permitted to rearm.