6 people including 3 children wounded after Hamas rocket slams into home in Ashkelon (video)By Mason White 1:54 PM August 26, 2014
|Hamas missile strikes home in Israel|
By: Ze’ev Ben-Yechiel
(Scroll down for video) Six people were wounded after a missile fired from Gaza slammed into a home in Israel, the Tazpit News Agency reported.
The Hamas rocket slammed into the Ashkelon home early Tuesday, lightly wounding the six people, including three children.
Two rooms in the home were completely destroyed, including the master bedroom where the mother and father had been just moments before the blast.
Thirty people were taken to Barzilai Hospital for treatment following the blast. The incident began shortly after 6:30 a.m., when a Code Red siren sounded in the southern city of Ashkelon, prompting Ofrah Cohen and her husband Yuval, to leave their bedroom and gather their children to take them to a bomb shelter.
“Suddenly there was an explosion,” she recounted. “The whole house was filled with blackness. The entire house was destroyed. I do not even want to think what would have happened if we had stayed in the bedroom.”
Cohen could not believe that her house was destroyed. “It was an indescribable explosion,” she said. The mother of two children marveled at the fact that her family escaped death
with nothing more minor cuts from glass shards. “I really feel we received the gift of life,” she remarked.
14-year-old Naor Cohen, the younger of Cohen’s two children, said he was still asleep when his parents came to evacuate them to the bomb shelter.
“Then there was a big explosion and fire,” he said. “Debris flew, and everything suddenly collapsed. We’ve never been in that situation. I still cannot comprehend what happened here.”
In Ashkelon’s Barzilai Hospital, the emergency room was filled with dozens of people who were injured in the blast, including 9-year-old Liam Atizon, who vividly recalled the rocket impact.
“I was asleep in bed. There was a siren, and my mom woke me up,” said the boy. “We have no safe room in the apartment. We ran to the stairwell and then there was a loud boom, the whole building shook. There was shattered glass, and a piece flew into my face.”
Liam said that he was lucky that the debris caused only a small cut on his cheek, joining dozens of other victims who escaped more serious injuries in the latest major attack on Israeli civilians by Hamas.
“All the windows and the shutters flew off the buildings,” Liam added. “My mother was also hurt. She was taken by ambulance, and I got my first ambulance ride. It was just Mom and I at home. I was very scared.”
Liam explained that his family had moved recently. “For three months we lived here, and for two months we have been at war.” Commenting on the security situation, the boy added: “I was born and grew up in Ashkelon. I am already nine years old, and during this entire time the situation continues. It makes no sense that we have been living life like this the whole time.”
A number of elderly people were also among those admitted to the hospital following the attack.
In the aftermath of this morning’s strike, Ashkelon locals once again condemned the country’s leadership of abandoning residents of the south. One resident asked why the authorities were waiting for someone to be killed before taking decisive action, while another called the government’s unwillingness to eliminate Hamas a “disgrace.”
Meanwhile, the IDF continued its operations overnight against terror targets in the Gaza Strip. An IDF spokesman told the Tazpit News Agency that Israeli forces have scored 23 hits on Hamas infrastructure since midnight, while the terror group launched a total of 53 rockets and mortars at Israel’s civilian population.