Dunkin’ Donuts worker accidentally dies in her car while taking nap between shiftsBy Mason White 11:20 AM August 29, 2014
By: Devansh Dutt
(Scroll down for video) A hardworking woman died while trying to get rest between two shifts.
32-year-old Maria Fernandes of New Jersey, who worked four jobs to make ends meet, died while napping in her car between shifts.
Fernandes worked at Dunkin Donuts’ in Penn Station, located in Newark.
Police were called after a foul smell came from her car. When they showed up, the body of Fernandes was found inside.
Firefighters who donned hazmat suits, opened the car doors as they were unsure if there were fumes in the car.
Police believe that her death was accidental, and was caused by a mixture of carbon monoxide and the gases from a gas container, which she kept in her car.
Friends said that in the past, Fernandes’ car ran out of gas, and therefore, she kept a can of gas in her car.
Investigators said that Fernandes stopped at a lot off Route 1 and 9 in Elizabeth, New Jersey, for a nap early Monday morning.
Police said that the 32-year-old woman left her car running, and the fumes of the gas container that has filled her car and the exhaust from her car, killed her.
She was found dead around at around 4:00 p.m. Fernandes was born in Portugal. She emigrated to the United States to seek a better life.