Hotel destroyed by explosion after customer rams car into building (video)By Mason White 11:30 AM September 10, 2014
By: Devansh Dutt
(Scroll down for video) A hotel was completely destroyed after a customer rammed a car into the building, causing a gas explosion, firefighters in Kentucky said.
According to investigators, the car hit a gas meter after which it exploded, causing the Fairfield Inn in Lexington, to collapse on Sunday night.
Although the building was destroyed, there were no reports of any serious injuries. Hotel employees managed to evacuate guests before the gas meter exploded.
Two firefighters were taken to a hospital as a precaution after the explosion. Their injuries were described as not serious. One elderly man suffered minor injuries.
The fire department received a call from a private alarm at the Fairfield Inn just after 6:00 p.m. When they arrived, they found the gas leak.
About 10 minutes later, the explosion occurred. Several cars were damaged and were under the rubble of the building. The 60-room hotel, was 70 percent occupied.
All guests were relocated to nearby hotels on Sunday night.