Latest News

48 dogs burn to death in house fire in Las Vegas

By Mason White 12:30 PM September 30, 2014
House fire 

By: Sanvi Rizvi
(Scroll down for video) 48 dogs died after a fast moving fire destroyed a home in Las Vegas, firefighters in Nevada said.

The North Las Vegas Fire Department said that rescuers were able to save about 52 animals after the home caught on fire Sunday night.

On Monday, investigators confirmed that at least 48 dogs died in the house, which is owned by a Las Vegas city council member.

Councilman Isaac Barron confirmed that he owns the home, but said that it was being rented out to tenants, who were in the process of being evicted.

The fire started in the house located on the 2600 block of Stanley Avenue around 8:00 p.m. The house was fully engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived.

It was estimated that there were about 100 small dogs living in the old house. Firefighters were able to save a number of dogs using a special oxygen mask designed for animals.

Animal control workers helped transport the dogs to pet hospitals. Some of the animals are still being treated, while others are being moved to shelters.

Firefighters said that it appears the fire was caused by an electrical problem.