Wine fermentation fumes cause 25-year-old woman to fall into wine vat and dieBy Mason White 4:48 PM October 5, 2014
By: Feng Qian
(Scroll down for video) A young woman of Spain, is dead after she fell into a wine vat.
Wine specialist Nerea Perez was watching the fermentation process in a wine cellar in Salas de los Barrios, when the incident happened.
According to the initial police investigation, the 25-year-old woman was overcome by the fumes given off during the fermentation, which caused her to lose her balance and fall into the wine vat.
Perez had been working in the winery, which belongs to her uncle Raul Perez, a well-known winemaker, for two years after graduating from the Coruna University with a degree in chemistry and the environment.
On Monday afternoon, she was watching the fermentation process in the industrial warehouse when she was overcome by the fumes emitted during the fermentation process. Her uncle found her body and called emergency services, but they were unable to revive her.
Carbon monoxide poisoning during winemaking can easily occur if precautions are not taken.