Latest News

Woman jailed after accusing man of rape prompting mob to beat him to death

By Mason White 4:02 PM November 6, 2014
Latiqwa Mayes (right) and victim Donald Robinson 

By: Wayne Morin
(Scroll down for video) A woman and her father were sentenced to jail after killing a man.

20-year-old Latiqwa Mayes of Baltimore, Maryland, falsely accused the man of raping her, prompting her father and an angry mob to kill him.

The victim was identified as Donald Robinson. Mayes first met Robinson, who is a registered sex offender, when he broke into her home and assaulted her roommate.

Robinson was arrested for that incident. Mayes was told that Robinson had violated his parole.

Mayes assumed that Robinson will receive a long prison sentence. However, when she spotted him on the 800 block of Lennox Street a few days later, Mayes became angry.

Mayes started yelling: “He raped me. He’s a sex offender.” Her father, Willie Mayes, 60, called for help and two teenagers who were in the area playing basketball, came over and held Robinson down.

Strangers on the street also got involved and began beating, kicking and punching Robinson. Latiqwa also pepper-sprayed him, according to police.

The incident, which was captured on surveillance cameras in the area, showed Robinson stumbling away from the fight.

He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy determined that the beating had exacerbated his existing health problem, police said.

Both, the father and daughter, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and said they had never intended for Robinson to die.

Mayes’ attorney, Joshua Insley, said that Latiqwa has been placed in segregation and was in a 8 by 12 foot jail cell for the past 13 months while awaiting trial.

Latiqwa was sentenced to 10 years with four years suspended. She will spend 6 years behind bars.

Her father, a military veteran, has spent the past 10 months in prison awaiting trial. Willie was also sentenced to 10 years in prison with all but two years suspended.

Kwan Blackburn, 18, one of the teenagers who helped keep Robinson down, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was given a suspended sentence and four years probation.

Another teen, Malik Hampton-Cummings, 18, is still awaiting trial.