Latest News

4-year-old boy eats cookies contaminated with blood at blood drive (video)

By Mason White 4:56 PM November 25, 2014
Cookie illustration 

By: Mahesh Sarin
(Scroll down for video) A couple freaked out after their 4-year-old son ate cookies, which were contaminated with blood at a blood drive event, according to a lawsuit filed in Ohio.

The American Red Cross was sued after the child ate the cookie contaminated with blood, WBNS-10TV reported.

The blood drive was held in Lancaster.

Joshua and Allyson Wilson said that after months of trying to get to the Red Cross to respond to their concerns, they had no choice but to seek legal action.

The Wilsons said that they stayed up a few nights crying just worried about their son Declan.

They said that their fears began at the Fairfield Medical Center, where Allyson Wilson was donating blood at the blood drive organized by the American Red Cross.

Declan was with her at the time. At one point, she noticed red stains on his face and hands. Declan had been eating a cookie from the refreshments table.

“I realized that he had just eaten blood that was in his cookie. He had blood on his hands from another donor who was there,” according to the lawsuit.

Follow-up tests confirmed that the child was not exposed to any infectious disease as a result of this situation. The Wilsons want compensation for the way they were treated.