Latest News

Woman burns down her home after placing space heater under her porch to keep stray cats warm

By Mason White 5:09 PM November 26, 2014
House on fire illustration 

By: Feng Qian
A woman accidentally burned down her home after placing a space heater under her porch to keep stray cats warm, police in Illinois said.

Luckily, a Wilmette police officer noticed smoke coming from under the woman’s porch and warned her about the fire.

The incident unfolded at the woman’s home located on Wilmette Avenue in the early hours of Saturday morning.

According to the police investigation, the woman said that she placed a space heater underneath her porch to provide a warm living space for outdoor animals.

The fire caused $10,000 in damages.

The police officer said that during a routine patrol, she noticed smoke coming from the house at 2119 Wilmette Avenue around 5:30 a.m.

Upon further inspection, the police officer discovered that the back porch was on fire. The officer knocked on the door and made sure that the woman left the home safely.

The police officer also woke residents of neighboring homes and got them out of their buildings as a precaution. The woman refused treatment by paramedics Wilmette. No one else was injured.