Chef at 5-star restaurant caught washing feet in kitchen sinkBy Mason White 6:49 PM November 27, 2014
By: Tanya Malhotra
Diners in the United Kingdom, were horrified to see a chef at their favorite five-star restaurant washing his feet in the kitchen sink, according to photos uploaded to the Internet.
The photos appear to show the chef next to his food preparation area at the Neel Akash Indian and Bangladeshi Restaurant in Salisbury, Wiltshire.
However, the owner appealed to his customers, saying that this was not a regular occurrence at the restaurant. He said that the chef accidentally dropped hot oil on his foot and needed to cool it down.
The restaurant has a five-star rating from the Food Standards Agency (FSA), the highest possible rating. One diner who saw the chef washing his feet, said that he felt sick in his stomach.
He said that he ate there many times, and was totally surprised and annoyed. “I will never set foot there again,” he said.
Restaurant owner Mohammed Shajahan said that it was an isolated incident and was not a reflection of his impeccable food hygiene rules.
“The only reason that the employee had his foot in the sink was because he had dropped hot oil on his foot and quickly needed to cool the area to avoid a severe burn. I immediately apologized to the diner and asked the chef why he had broken the health and safety rules. The chef was asked to resign and now has left my restaurant,” Shajahan said.