Latest News

Father and son fatally stab man during cocaine deal in fight over $8

By Mason White 12:55 PM December 19, 2014
Bag of cocaine illustration 

By: Feng Qian
A father and son were arrested, charged and convicted in connection with the fatal stabbing of a man who purchased illegal drugs, prosecutors in New York said.

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson announced that a 46-year-old Brooklyn man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison, following his conviction on charges of first-degree manslaughter for beating and stabbing to death a 39-year-old man in East Williamsburg.

The defendant’s 21-year-old son pleaded guilty to assault for his part in the attack.

“A man is dead and a father and son are headed to prison, all because of a fight over eight dollars. This defendant showed a callous disregard for life when he fatally stabbed the victim – who had already been knocked to the ground. He must now pay for his crime,” District Attorney Thompson said.

The District Attorney said that the defendant, Rafael Vargas, 46, of 73 Nostrand Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, was sentenced by Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Vincent Del Giudice, to a term of 12 years in prison and five years of post-release supervision.

The defendant was convicted of first-degree manslaughter last month following a jury trial.

According to the police investigation, at the Cooper Park Houses on Jackson Street, in East Williamsburg, the defendant and his son, Richie Vargas, 22, attacked 39-year-old Anthony Dash.

Richie Vargas was attempting to purchase crack cocaine from an individual. Dash was also present. When Richie Vargas held out $8 dollars, the victim grabbed it, saying that he was “owed” the money.

Richie Vargas then left the area, got his father and went back to confront Dash. He repeatedly punched Dash in the head and body, knocking him to the ground.

Rafael Vargas then pulled out a knife and began slashing at Dash, finally stabbing him in the thigh and cutting Dash’s femoral artery.

He died at Woodhull Hospital Center. Richie Vargas pleaded guilty to first and second-degree assault.