Health and safety inspector dies after falling into gravy maker while inspecting food factoryBy Mason White 4:43 PM December 22, 2014
|Food factory machines illustration|
By: Wayne Morin
A health and safety inspector died while inspecting a food factory by falling into a gravy maker, a court in the United Kingdom has heard.
46-year-old Nigel Chester fell 13 feet into the machine after passing through a door at Premier Foods in Worksop, Nottinghamshire.
Chester had been checking the machines and used a master key that the staff had given him to open all the doors. Chester used the key to open a door, which had been installed by a porch that had not yet been built.
The door had a large poster, warning the public not to use it. Chester died after suffering horrific injuries, a paramedic who responded to the scene said.
Chester had severe head injuries. The inspector’s death was ruled an accident by a jury.
Premier Foods took steps to make their facility more safe following the accident. They have since got rid of the master key, put a barrier around the door and installed extra locks on it.