Latest News

80-year-old man jailed for pouring acid on his 19-year-old girlfriend for seeing another man (video)

By Mason White 4:30 PM December 24, 2014
(From left to right) Mohammed Rafiq, Steven Holmes,
and Shannon Heaps 

By: Tanya Malhotra
(Scroll down for video) An elderly man was arrested, charged and convicted of assault after pouring acid on his teen lover for seeing another man, prosecutors in the United Kingdom said.

Now, 80-year-old Mohammed Rafiq, was sentenced to serve 18 years in prison.

According to the police investigation, Rafiq hired 25-year-old Steven Holmes and 23-year-old Shannon Heaps, to throw acid on his 19-year-old former girlfriend after he became jealous of her growing independence.

Rafiq persuaded the two men to pour liquid over his young lover in exchange for 50 pounds ($77). Vikki Horsman suffered burns to her face, neck and chest after being doused with the acid during the horrific attack.

The incident unfolded while she was at the home of her new boyfriend. The friend also suffered burns after he escorted the teen to the door where she was suddenly assaulted.

Rafiq of Smethwick, West Midlands, who is 60 years her senior, was described by prosecutor Anthony Warner as “controlling.”

He said that after beginning a sexual relationship, Horsman converted to Islam and changed her name to Aleena Rafiq, to accommodate the elderly man.

Warner also said that Horsman had lost her mother and father and “came to rely” on Rafiq.

Rafiq became upset with her increasing independence and was “obsessed” with her movements, even going through her personal possessions.

Horsman had enough of his insecurities. She left the 80-year-old man and changed her name back. That is when Rafiq sought revenge.

Rafiq, Heaps and Holmes were all convicted of assault.

Rafiq was sentenced to serve 18 years in prison while Holmes was sentenced to serve 14 years in prison. Heaps was sentenced to serve just 12 years in prison.

Horsman’s sister, 26-year-old Ceri Parkes, was sentenced to serve 12 months in prison for perverting the course of justice. Parkes blamed three innocent people for the attack on her sister.

They were arrested, but were released after police determined they were not connected to the attack.