Man nearly chokes to death after drinking bottle of eggnog in 12 seconds for free gift card (video)By Mason White 4:34 PM December 24, 2014
|Ryan Roche at a hospital|
By: Wayne Morin
(Scroll down for video) A man in Utah, was rushed to a hospital after having difficulty breathing following a drinking contest, doctors said.
The incident unfolded after Ryan Roche was declared the winner of the drinking contest for swallowing a quart of eggnog in just 12 seconds.
He entered the race to win a gift card for Ruth’s Chris Steak House. When he finished drinking the bottle, he was gasping for air and had a difficult time breathing.
Roche said that his breathing problems intensified later that day, and he began to feel weak and nauseous. Roche’s friend, who is in medical school, urged him to go to a hospital, where doctors diagnosed him with dry drowning.
Apparently, some eggnog dripped into his lungs, and the liquid was causing an infection. He was hooked up to intravenous and oxygen.
He was also given very strong antibiotics. Roche spent 24 hours in the hospital’s intensive care unit before being sent home following three days of observation.