Latest News

Released prisoner arrested for starting his job too early in the morning

By Mason White 11:55 AM December 26, 2014
Prison illustration  

By: Mahesh Sarin
A man in the United Kingdom, was excited to be released from prison and wanted to become a productive citizen.

The man immediately looked for a job and was hired as a truck diver.

However, Ashley Stansfield, 48, of Finsbury Park, London, was soon arrested and jailed as his job started at 6:15 a.m., 45 minutes before his overnight curfew expired.

Stansfield was serving a sentence of 18 months for conspiracy to steal a car. He was placed on licensed leave, which means that he is no longer serving his sentence in prison but he is still required to adhere to certain conditions while serving the remaining part of his sentence in the community.

Time spent ‘on license’ is supervised by the Probation Service, which is run by a private company.

While on license, Stansfield was ordered to wear an ankle bracelet and was subjected to an overnight curfew. Stansfield was very happy when he found a job as a driver for a courier company in London.

He got the job and bought his own uniform. Stansfield informed his probation officer about the job and told him that he needed to start work at 6:15 a.m., but his curfew did not end until 7:00 a.m.

Stansfield said that the officer signed off on the job and gave him the go ahead.

However, two weeks later, when he returned to a scheduled appointment with the probation officer, he was informed that he was being returned to prison for violating his curfew.

His license was being monitored by London Community Rehabilitation (LCRC), one of the 21 companies hired by the Ministry of Justice to take over the management of released prisoners.

A spokesperson for LCRC said that the probation officer signed permission for Stansfield to take the job, but they were waiting for the governor to do the same.

Since the governor had not signed off on the permission before Stansfield began working, he was in violation of his license and was returned to the Pentonville Prison.