|Safe exploding illustration|
(Scroll down for video) A Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic is dead after a safe exploded in his house, according to police reports in the Czech Republic.
Prague Police said that the Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic died on Wednesday, in an explosion that occurred when he opened a safe that had been shut for at least 30 years.
Jamel al-Jamal, 56, was at home with his family at the time of the explosion, according to the Palestinian embassy spokesperson, Nabil El-Fahel.
Al-Jamal was seriously injured and taken to a hospital, where he died.
The Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki said that he does not suspect foul play, noting that the safe had not been opened in at least 30 years.
Prague rescue service spokesperson Jirina Ernestova said that al-Jamal was placed in an induced coma, when he first arrived at the Prague Military Hospital. Dr. Daniel Langer, who works there, said that al-Jamal suffered severe abdominal injuries.
A 52-year-old year old woman was taken from the scene of the explosion to a different hospital in Prague, after suffering from shock.