Latest News

1-year-old girl dies after being covered with mayonnaise and plastic bag to get rid of head lice (video)

By Mason White 10:09 AM February 6, 2015
Head lice illustration 

By: Feng Qian
(Scroll down for video) A little girl died after her parents tried to get rid of her head lice, using mayonnaise and a plastic bag, police in Massachusetts said.

The Springfield Police Department said that they are investigating the death of the 18-month-old girl, who suffocated during a procedure to get rid of her head lice.

According to the police investigation, officers were called to the girl’s house on Saturday, by the parents who claimed that she was not breathing.

Police officers who arrived at the scene, found the girl’s scalp covered with mayonnaise and a plastic bag placed over her head.

The girl was left unattended and fell asleep, allowing the bag to slide down on her face, which caused her to suffocate. The case is still under investigation and no charges have been filed.

Police said that another child in the family had head lice, but the parents decided to shave his head rather than using mayonnaise and a plastic bag.