Latest News

Boy falls unconscious after eating too much licorice

By Mason White 1:11 PM March 5, 2015
Licorice illustration 

By: Tanya Malhotra
A young boy who loves licorice, was hospitalized after suffering from seizures.

The 10-year-old boy of Bologna, Italy, suffered four attacks before doctors finally determined that it came as a result of the child eating up 20 pieces of black licorice a day for four months.

The boy also suffered from headaches and high blood pressure, according to the case study published in the journal Pediatric Neurology.

Doctors determined that the active ingredient glycyrrhizic acid, which is found in the licorice, caused the seizures.

Doctors discovered that the child was eating too much licorice on a daily basis. When they saw him a week after the initial incident, his teeth were black.

“The boy had been eating more than the World Health Organization’s recommended maximum of 2 mg/kg of glycyrrhizic acid,” the case study authors wrote.

When the boy stopped eating licorice, his symptoms were reduced and his health returned to normal.