Amazon slapped with lawsuit after teen dies of caffeine overdoseBy Mason White 6:22 PM March 8, 2015
By: Chan Yuan
(Scroll down for video) Amazon was slapped with a lawsuit after a teen poisoned himself with a deadly dose of caffeine by consuming a powder that was shipped by the Internet retailer, according to court documents filed in Ohio.
The lawsuit alleges that Amazon did not provide proper warnings about the dangers of using caffeine powder.
18-year-old Logan Stiner was found unresponsive by his brother in the family’s home in LaGrange. A coroner ruled that Stiner died of cardiac arrhythmia and seizure due to caffeine poisoning.
The amount of caffeine in his body was about 23 times the level in a typical soda or coffee. Stiner planned to study chemical engineering at the University of Toledo.
The lawsuit named the defendants a classmate who gave Stiner the caffeine powder, Amazon, which shipped it, and six companies that packaged and sold the pharmaceutical-grade powder under the name Hard Rhino.
Hard Rhino stopped selling caffeine powder on Amazon. Hard Rhino is sold as a dietary supplement, which allows the company to bypass FDA regulations.
The lawsuit seeks damages of more than $25,000.