Latest News

Girl left paralyzed after buying pot brownie from classmate (video)

By Mason White 10:39 AM March 15, 2015
Pot brownies illustration 

By: Tanya Malhotra
(Scroll down for video) A girl is hospitalized and partially paralyzed after eating a brownie, which she bought from another student.

Danieel Buchanan, 17, of New York, bought the snack from her classmate at the Benjamin Banneker High School in Brooklyn.

She shared the brownie with two other students before they all got sick.

Buchanan went to the school nurse with a racing heart rate and high blood pressure. The school nurse called her mother Allison at 11:00 a.m., to let her know that her daughter was being rushed to an emergency room.

After an initial check-up, Buchanan was released into the care of her parents, but her condition began to deteriorate dramatically.

She could not walk on her own and she could hardly eat. At 3:00 a.m. the next morning, Allison Buchanan took her daughter to the Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan, and she was later rushed to the Mount Sinai Hospital.

Allison Buchanan said that when she arrived, Danieel began convulsing and has been partially paralyzed since then.

“She is unable to walk. She cannot stand. She cannot sit. I’ve never seen anything like this before,” Allison Buchanan said.

Blood tests revealed that the teenager had marijuana in her system, but no other drugs were present.

Danieel will need rehabilitation therapy.

The 18-year-old student who sold the brownie to Danieel, was suspended from school, and the New York Police Department is investigating the incident.