Latest News

Teen drops dead after eating pancake at restaurant

By Mason White 5:34 PM March 16, 2015
Pancakes illustration 

By: Tanya Malhotra
(Scroll down for video) A teen who was allergic to dairy, died after eating a pancake at a restaurant, according to court documents in Minnesota.

Now, the family of the teen has filed a lawsuit against the restaurant, claiming that they are responsible for causing the death.

Scott Johnson had a severe allergic reaction to the pancake and died. Johnson’s mother Cindy, said that they were told that the restaurant’s pancakes are dairy free, but they were not.

Scott was very allergic to milk. Even small traces of milk would be enough to send him to the emergency room. That is why he rarely ate at restaurants.

The exception was on the day of the incident when the family decided to it at the Minnesota Nice Cafe. Cindy Johnson asked the server if the gluten free pancakes were also without milk.

The server reported that the chef said that they were. Cindy Johnson also requested that the grill should be cleaned before her teen’s pancakes were made.

Scott ate two pancakes, thinking they were good. When Scott finished eating the pancakes he signaled to his mother that they need to go home.

Scott forgot to bring his EpiPen and nebulizer to the restaurant. Cindy called an ambulance, and Scott was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Doctors said that Scott had suffered such a severe anaphylactic reaction that his heart had failed. Scott, 16, died three days later.