Man sets his own car on fire after using cigarette lighter as flashlight while refuelingBy Mason White 6:05 PM March 24, 2015
|Burned car illustration|
By: Wayne Morin
A man is lucky to be alive after his car exploded in a ball of fire while refueling, police in Australia said.
Victoria Police said that the man accidentally set his car on fire by using a cigarette lighter as a flashlight while refueling.
According to the police investigation, the man ran out of fuel early on Sunday morning, while traveling on the Western Highway.
The man then went to a nearby service station to purchase several gallons of gasoline. When he got back to the vehicle, the man was unable to see due to the lack of light.
While he was in the process of pouring fuel in his vehicle, he pulled out a cigarette lighter to illuminate the area so he could see.
The fumes caught on fire and the vehicle was burned. Luckily, the man escaped without injury.