Latest News

Woman, 24, loses 90 percent of her skin after taking medication

By Mason White 10:15 AM March 25, 2015
Khaliah Shaw before and after 

By: Tanya Malhotra
(Scroll down for video) A young woman suffered tremendously after experiencing an allergic reaction to a common medication.

The 24-year-old student of Georgia, who nearly went blind, lost 90 percent of her skin after suffering an allergic reaction to a common anti-seizure medication.

Khaliah Shaw said that she was a public health graduate student at Georgia College and State University, when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was prescribed the drug lamotrigine.

Weeks after taking the drug, she developed a rash on her face while the skin of her lips began to peel. She went to a hospital, where she was initially diagnosed with the flu.

However, two days later, she woke up in excruciating pain, while skin from her face, neck, back and chest fell off. Her mouth was covered with blisters. She returned to the emergency room in Oconee County.

At the hospital, she was isolated for fear that she had an infectious disease. When her condition deteriorated, Shaw was rushed to The Medical Center of Central Georgia in Macon, where a dermatologist diagnosed her with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS).

She was put into an induced coma as her skin fell off and left her in excruciating pain. When she finally woke up 5 weeks later, Shaw was partially blind.

She eventually regained some of her eyesight, but she must wear sunglasses as she is very sensitive to light.

7 weeks after being transferred to the specialist burn center, Shaw was able to go home. At this point, she was bald and had pink and white patchy skin rather than her natural brown color.

Now, Shaw continues to see a variety of doctors, specialists, and therapists on a weekly basis. She has moved back home with her mother, and she still cannot see properly.