Latest News

Scientist hospitalized after inhaling feces of chickens

By Mason White 9:22 AM April 16, 2015
Chicken illustration 

By: Wayne Morin
A scientist and a mushroom plant worker were hospitalized after they both inhaled feces of chickens over an extended period of time, doctors in Ireland said.

Doctors at the Cavan General Hospital have reported that the two people contracted Bird Fancier’s Lung (BFL) after breathing in very fine particles of chicken waste.

A 37-year-old female scientist and a 56-year-old farmer, who both work at a mushroom processing plant, are thought to have inhaled the bird droppings for long periods of time.

The bird droppings were used as fertilizer for the mushrooms.

Cavan General Hospital reported that the scientist, who is a non-smoker, suffered from a persistent cough, shortness of breath and night sweats for 18 months.

The farmer, who is also a non-smoker, suffered from a permanent cough and green mucus. The farmer worked as a cleaner alongside the scientist at the mushroom processing plant.

The scientist was removed from her work and she recovered, while protective equipment was issued to the farmer, who remains under observation.